Friday, July 01, 2005

Confession time

I start this entry with a confession that I've never made to anyone. Why share it here? Because I think it's essential to my boot camp success. And to one day calling myself a writer. A real writer.

Whenever I say I'm a writer, I find myself mumbling the words. My face gets hot, my tongue gets thick and my eyes seek out my feet. When I call myself a writer, I feel like a fraud. And the reason why goes waaaaay back--31 years back--to the Christmas when I was ten.

My sister and I always made cards for our parents, and this year I really wanted mine to be special. In years past, I had drawn Christmas trees, ornaments, Santas...you get the idea. But I wanted my card to look like those we received from family and friends. You know, the store-bought kind, with beautiful Currier & Ives landscapes, peaceful manger scenes or peek-thru-the-window views of fireplaces and stockings, rocking chairs and trees. But everything I tried to draw came out wrong.

So, I found a book of poetry on my shelf. The cover showed a picture of deer frolicking in the snow and decorating a tree in the woods. I couldn't draw the picture myself, so I traced it.

With the picture drawn and looking so nice, my ten-year-old poetry sounded so lame, even to ten-year-old me. Tracing the picture worked so well, why not copy a poem?

So I did. I copied a poem and signed my name to the card.

Beautiful.

On Christmas morning, I gave my card to the parents. Amazed at the picture, they asked if I had drawn it myself. I admitted, albeit reluctantly, that I had traced it. But I did do my own coloring!

Then they read the poem. "Dawn, this is wonderful! Did you write this? It is SO good!"

"Thanks," I said. But this time I did not admit that the work wasn't mine. Instead, I took credit where it wasn't due. Their praise meant so much to me, and I really wanted them to think I had a special gift for them...the gift of my words.

Only they weren't my words, and I never let them know.

From that point on, my parents--especially my Mom--talked about how well I wrote. She called me her little poet. I would beam at her words, but cringe when I thought back to their fraudulent source.

I did begin to write poems of my own, though. Ten-year-old girl poems that were about as good as a ten-year-old can write. I would show them to my Mom, and she would praise them as any good mom would do.

As I entered my teen years, I started to journal, writing pages upon pages whenever I had the chance. I also continued writing poetry. Now, not only were my parents praising me, but my teachers and friends were, too. Yet I still felt like a fraud.

I downplayed every success. When I had six poems published in Fragments, a literary magazine for high school kids published by Time-Life, I assumed they published everything they received. Why else would they publish all six of the poems (three at a time in two different issues) that I had submitted? When I had a couple of poems and an ink drawing published in a regional literary magazine, again I assumed it was because they just didn't have that many submissions.

While it may have occurred to me that maybe my poems and artwork were actually pretty good, I refused to believe it. Those first words of meaningful praise that came for words that were not mine took away my belief that I could write.

I still battle with that belief today as I try to prove, especially to myself, that I can write. That I am a writer.

The other day I received my Long Ridge assignment back from my instructor. If number grades were assigned, it would have been a 100. She made no corrections, no suggestions for improvement. She said, "Send this out. Its ready to go!" The only comment on the accompanying query letter (also part of the assignment) was "Perfect, of course! :-)"

I couldn't believe what I was reading. What was wrong with this lady? Why wasn't she ripping the article to shreds? Of course this article can't be perfect. I'm not that good. Hell, I'm not good at all!

I'm not even a writer. I'm just someone who once copied a poem and called it my own.

11 Comments:

At 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to asian philosophy, the past can be forgiven and to be truly free you must have forgiveness. They have ceremony where you kneel before the pictures of your family and forgive them their short comings and forgive your childhood. Childhood is the only time you get to make mistakes and not have the consequences absolutely ruin your life. Your mother loves you and if it really bothers you - confess. I, once, did something when I was 12 that haunted me. Nothing big - similar to your story and I confessed to my mother at nearly 30 and now it's no big deal. It was childhood folly.

 
At 6:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie and Sara are right, you have to forgive yourself. We all told lies as children. What you did was very understandable. And you were trying to please your mom.

I think many writers have trouble calling themselves "WRITER". I even read an interview with Barbara Kingsolver who said she just now feels comfortable calling herself a novelist.

I don't know why the word WRITER is so weighted, but it is.

What would make you feel like a writer? What would have to happen so that you could comfortably call yourself a writer?

Lauri

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger bwheather said...

It's time to stop beating yourself up about it. You are a writer, girl, so send that perfect piece off and do it today. ;-)

 
At 4:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing how small things from our ten year-old lives can haunt us forever. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a 10 year-old friend just before I left. His dad, M., is an amazing artist, he has no confidence, but his work is just heart-breaking in its loveliness. His son is also an artist. As M. and I were having a paint in, E. was sitting with us drawing. He was lamenting that his drawing of Obi Wan Kenobi wasn't right. Somehow the converstion got around to copying, to tracing. He said adamently, I don't believe in tracing! I was struck by the strength of his moral code about drawing pictures. I would never suggest that he just trace it, I just said perhaps he could look at a picture, or at one of his action figures. He would have none of it. What a shame that a kid, with the freedom to explore whatever he likes should have such rigid rules. I know that using the works of others, even tracing can teach you things about drawing, can improve your own skills . Recognizing the beauty in a piece of art or a poem, and striving to emulate beauty and make it your is not a crime. Especially when you are ten. I am so glad to watch you let that guilt fly away.

 
At 8:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am doing research for e-books on original gift ideas. That is how I ran into your blog Confession time. Do you have any brilliant suggestion for a Christmas gift for a kid by any chance? I already have several books done and posted at http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com but I am looking to upgrade some of the ideas for Christmas gifts. Thanks.

 
At 8:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am doing research for e-books on original gift ideas. That is how I ran into your blog Confession time. Do you have any brilliant suggestion for a Christmas gift for a woman by any chance? I already have several books done and posted at http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com but I am looking to upgrade some of the ideas for Christmas gifts. Thanks.

 
At 6:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi dawn,

I am a writer and I research gift ideas for e-books on original gift ideas for Christmas and other events like Valentine's, Easter etc. I also organize gift ideas per receiver, like for babies, for kids, for teens, for grandparents, for dog lovers, for him, for her, etc Or I organize them by category like romantic gifts and inexpensive gifts. In my research I also go through blogs that mention gifts and gift ideas or events like Christmas. That is how I came upon your blog Confession time. I would appreciate if you would share just one successful gift idea with me, for instance a Christmas gift for a mom. I hope that my question doesn't annoy you. And I apologize if it does. I thought if I'd just ask enough people I'd wind up with plenty of good ideas to share with others again. That is what networking is all about, right? Or let's call it the spirit of Christmas. Let me know if I can do something for you. You can find my free e-books with gift ideas here: http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com. God bless.

Chevalier Blanc

 
At 7:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi dawn, Your post on Confession time was very interesting and informative and helped me enormously in my search for the nightmare before christmas. Keep up the good work - John

 
At 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi dawn, Your post on Confession time was very interesting and informative and helped me enormously in my search for 100 Free Ebooks. Keep up the good work - John

 
At 9:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya dawn, I am just spending a couple of hours browsing and found your site. I spotted your post called Confession time although it was christmas coloring pages I was looking for. I found it an interesting and informative read and I just though I'd say so. Got to go looking for christmas coloring pages now so I'll check your site again soon. Good site by the way. Keep blogging - John

 
At 7:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya dawn, just thought I'd say great post titled Confession time. I'm looking for christmas clipart and I ended up here accidentally but I will make sure I return soon. Looking for christmas clipart in addition will keep me busy for a few hours. Buy for now - John

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home