Thursday, June 23, 2005

Writing what comes naturally

In my post titled Work, I asked:
And in our writing, why do we feel, just because a certain type of writing comes easily to us, that it's not worthy of our primary focus? That we should be writing something else?

I kept thinking about that question after I posted the entry. It's been nagging at me, actually.

And I'm torn in how I think about it.

One side of me thinks that if the writing flows naturally and I enjoy it, then this is the writing that I should be doing.

But then the other side of me argues that point. If I concentrate only on the writing that comes easily, where is the challenge to become a better writer?

Granted, even writing that flows naturally can stand improvement. As writers, we can always improve our craft and become better writers by doing so.

But if I focus on just one type of writing, aren't I limiting myself?

Attempting different types of writing ought to strengthen my overall skills as a writer. Forcing myself out of my comfort zone could bring different perspectives and new passions to the words I write. Who knows? I might discover a genre that flows with even greater ease than my original forum.

But I won't discover anything if I play it safe and stick to just one type of writing.

I've always thought that I could only write nonfiction. That I lacked the creativity to write fiction. Good fiction, anyway.

Why do I think that? Because writing fiction is hard for me. It doesn't come easily. I get bogged down in details and lose the story. I get frustrated, say "I suck at this" and give up.

Could I gain anything by trying again? By learning the components of good fiction and trying to incorporate them into my stories instead of thinking I can just throw some words on a page and have them be good? After much practice, might I actually write a decent story? Might it actually get easier and more enjoyable? Will I ever know if I don't at least try?

Even if I ultimately decide that nonfiction articles or personal essays are what I want to write, anything I learn while experimenting with other writing forms will find its way into my work and make it stronger.

So, while I still think that we should be able to focus on the writing that comes most naturally to us, the writing that we most love to do, we actually do ourselves a disservice if we write only in that form.

If I'm going to write, I want it to always be lively, passionate and fun. I want to continuously grow, learn and improve my craft. If I want to be a good writer, I need to take risks.

For some reason, that no longer seems so scary.

3 Comments:

At 1:25 AM , Blogger bwheather said...

I'm glad you're not scared to try soemthing new anymore. I reckon go for it, try stuff out and just see what you enjoy doing. ;-)

 
At 10:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These most recent 2 posts made me smile and nod. I love, love, LOVE fiction writing but very quickly found that it's a hard way to pay the bills unless you're King or Grisham. By default, I HAD to write what I don't particularly enjoy, but... I found that I actually DO enjoy it. It's writing; how could I not? It doesn't give me the joy of hearing my character's voices in my head and arguing with them, or of finding just the right description or dialogue to move my story along, but the simple joy of moving my pen on the paper instead. And I've learned things like discipline, research skills, succinct word choice, online formatting, that definitely improve my fiction as well.
You're on the right track!
Joanna

 
At 4:20 PM , Blogger dawn said...

Thanks for the encouragement! It definitely helps!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home