Sunday, June 19, 2005

One piece at a time

I struggle with breaking projects down into manageable pieces. I tend to look at the project as a whole and attack it from that perspective. As a result, I bounce from one idea to the next, research this and that, and lose focus on the one idea that I should be trying to get across. I end up trying to accompish too much with one piece of writing, but actually accomplishing none of it...at least none of it well.

I have the same problem with setting goals, both writing-related and not. I have a million different goals in mind, but I can't seem to break those down into the babysteps I need to accomplish in order to reach my goal. I go at my goals haphazardly, focusing first on this goal, then on that goal, and bemoan the fact that I'm going 90mph but getting nowhere.

I read somewhere that I have to think SMALL. Concentrate on completing just ONE LITTLE TASK, then mark it off the list. Done. Complete. An actual ACCOMPLISHMENT. Keep doing that and eventually the project will be finished.

It sounds so simple, and it makes so much sense. So why is it so hard to do?

3 Comments:

At 2:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

no clue. but I think I'll try breaking them down more. :)

 
At 7:55 AM , Blogger bwheather said...

Hi Dawn,
I can relate to this, too. I used to be such a mess when it came to this kind of stuff. My advice is to start the whole goal setting thing small and work on it. Try reading some books on the subject. Might sound crazy, but try SARK's books. They are fun and make the whole thing so much easier to do, not that I am in full agreement with everything she believes, though. Try http://www.planetsark.com

 
At 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to want the end product now so I look at the big picture and get overwhelmed. Lately, I've been trying to focus on the process and taking each day, each step one at a time. Seems to be helping. It seems slower, but it's actually faster than immobility. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home